Most of us, (that I know), that are chronically ill are either mostly home bound or at least spend an awful lot of time there. As such, it can get pretty gloomy and disheartening. I certainly know I suffer from the doldrums when I’m stuck on the couch constantly.
A couple years ago, during a really extended time on the couch, I woke up to this:
Before my Husband, Bri left for work, he simply created something beautiful and cheerful for me to see when I woke up. I can’t even tell you how much it brightened my spirits the entire day and then some. Since then, knowing how much his “redecorating” did for my soul, we’ve kind of gone on a whole house redo for the soul. Because as much as my home is my saving grace, it can become pretty discouraging to always be trapped there.
As such, here are ten affordable things we did, over time, to brighten up the surroundings I never leave:
- Get rid of clutter!! I cannot even tell you how helpful this has been!! While obviously making it easier to clean, I really feel like my soul is less cluttered with all the extra “junk” cleared out.
- Paint! Now granted, we are totally “do it yourselfers”, BUT painting really is easy and pretty inexpensive.
- Add some fun throw pillows! I loved browsing on Etsy for pillow covers to cover the pillows I already had.
- Add photos! I LOVE pictures I admit it!! Pictures of my wedding, the kids, our favorite vacation spot, I even have framed pictures of my pets!!
- Add a new fuzzy blanket! I can never have enough fuzzy blankets. And depending on how I’m feeling, depends which one I need. Some are softer or fuzzier than the other.
- Add candles or an essential oil diffuser! I admit, I have both. While I can’t always handle the smells due to sensitivity, when I can, I love smelling the relaxing aroma of Lavender or peonies.
- Add a soft lamp. I suffer from migraines, alot. So often times, I can’t handle the glare of bright lights. I found an absolutely adorable Kate Spade lamp at HomeGoods for a steal! Now I typically turn that on to softly light my room.
- Change the curtains! I actually recently bought a gorgeous pair of linen curtains from Target. But I have totally also scored curtains at bargain bin places like Big Lots. Changing curtains can have a pretty dramatic change on a room!
- Add flowers! I just recently found a really pretty little red bouquet in a pot for my Aunt’s new digs. It adds just the right amount of color and pop to a room, without the responsibility of taking care of it!!
- Add artwork! I still have some of my kids’ artwork hanging, despite my youngest being 20. Whether it’s your kids’ art or a print from Home Goods or Etsy, artwork can totally perk up a room.
Granted, this mostly focuses on my living room. But, a little goes a long way in all our rooms! Having a bright and cheerful home makes it just a little easier to stay there all the time. Truthfully, sometimes, even when I feel well, I don’t want to leave anymore!!